google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Fire operation ends in New Forest after two weeks

Firefighters are due to leave the New Forest later, two weeks after the outbreak of a devastating wildfire.

More than 1 sq km (247 acres) of the national park has been destroyed since the fire spread from a blazing van on 9 August.

On Saturday, the A31 dual carriageway between Southampton and Bournemouth was reopened, with a lane closure and speed limits in force.

Recent reports of smoke in the area are thought to be no more than dust and debris carried by the wind, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service (HIWFRS) said.

The fire destroyed ancient oak and beech trees, rare heathland and wildlife, Forestry England previously said.

The government agency said it would take decades for the environment to fully recover.


BBC News

See also  'David Bowie stayed in our house in Hull'

Check Also

Tony Powell: ‘My footballer brother hid his sexuality for years’

Denise said Tony then became a motel manager until the 2000s in Los Angeles, before …

Weston-super-Mare: Teen arrested after fire destroyed businesses

A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of arson after a large fire destroyed several …

Saltash man completes 2,800 mile scoot across Australia

Brown’s is no stranger to the country and hoped to raise £5,000 for three charities …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime