google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Southport attack: Pakistan drops disinformation case against Farhan Asif

A BBC investigation had linked Mr Asif to a website called Channel3Now, which posted an article that included a false name for the alleged attacker, and wrongly suggested he was an asylum seeker who arrived in the UK by boat last year.

The article was shared widely on social media and quickly went viral.

In Monday’s court session, police said that Mr Asif was a freelancer at a private channel and that they found he had shared news by a different social media account in the UK.

After UK police had refuted the false information he had shared, Mr Asif deleted the posts and issued an apology on Channel3now for sharing the news, police said.

The judge asked Mr Asif if he now realised he should be careful about the information he shares online.

BBC Verify previously tracked down several people linked to Channel3Now and questioned someone who claimed to be “management” at the site.

That person told the BBC that the publication of the false name “shouldn’t have happened, but it was an error, not intentional”.

False information about the attacker spread online after three young girls were killed at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class on 29 July.

Violent disorder then broke out in Southport before spreading to towns and cities across England and Northern Ireland, fuelled by misinformation, the far-right and anti-immigration sentiment.

In the past three weeks, more than 500 people have been charged in relation to the disorder and at least 170 sentenced, many being sent to jail.


Source link

See also  'Major player' in alleged mistaken identity kidnap of Sydney grandfather charged

Check Also

Missing teen hiker found dead in Australian bush after eight-day search

The body of a woman has been found in Australian bushland, following an eight-day search …

China: Alleged sexual assault by local official and businessman in Hangzhou sparks outrage

Chinese authorities have arrested a local government official and a businessman suspected of sexually assaulting …

Thai teen found ‘stuffed’ in suitcase died from suffocation, police reveal

A 17-year-old girl whose body was found in a suitcase in Thailand died from suffocation, …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime