google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Porthcawl’s Coney Island has second faulty ride after crash

Advertisements

Inspectors found safety issues on a second ride at an amusement park where a rollercoaster derailed last month, injuring 13 children.

A number of people required hospital treatment following the incident on the Wacky Worm ride at Porthcawl’s Coney Island Pleasure Park, Bridgend county.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said on Thursday that a nearby Mini Jet Ride was issued with a “prohibition notice” after other rides at the site were inspected.

The BBC understands it was issued as a precautionary measure and the ride has since been repaired.

A spokesperson for the owners of Coney Beach Porthcawl confirmed that during HSE investigations into the accident on the Wacky Worm ride, a “minor and completely unrelated issue” was identified within the external walkway adjacent to the nearby Mini Jet ride.

They said it “required the installation of some wooden packing of about 6mm to ensure it did not vibrate or feel insecure underfoot”.

“It had absolutely no relevance to the integrity of the ride itself,” the spokesperson said.

“The repair took no more than 10 minutes during which the ride was closed. Permission was then given for it to operate as normal for the remainder of the day.

“The ride was owned and operated by a third-party business which has subsequently sold it and removed in from the park as part of our winding down and closure by the end of October following acquisition of the site by the Welsh government for redevelopment.”

The spokesperson added that “the Wacky Worm ride was owned and operated by a third party business and has been closed since the accident”.

“It will be removed from the park once permission is given by the authorities. We have fully co-operated with the HSE during its investigation.”

A prohibition notice means the ride needs to be “repaired and checked by an independent and competent person before being put back in service”.

The HSE said scientific experts were examining the Wacky Worm ride at a laboratory in Buxton, Derbyshire, as part of an ongoing investigation.

Simon Chilcott, principal inspector at HSE, said: “We’ve worked very closely with the police and taken swift action to preserve evidence and keep people safe.

“Witness accounts have been shared with us, as well as footage taken on the day of the incident, and these will be used to inform our investigation.”

He added the investigation was likely to take some time, but once it was complete, a decision would be made on what further action should be taken.

In a statement at the time, the park said the incident occurred on a ride owned and operated by a third party.


BBC News

See also  First image released of Michael Sheen as Owain Glyndŵr

Check Also

Rhossili cliff horses removed after more than 100 years in grazing rights row

The trust said it would engage with Beynon to “further understand” the number of horses …

Netball Super League: Dragons make three changes to squad for play-off push

Saviour Tui has signed from ANZ Premiership side Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic. The 24-year-old …

Megan Davies: Loughborough Lightning record holder called-up by Wales

Scrum-half Megan Davey has been called up to Wales’ extended training squad for the upcoming …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime