google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Port Talbot steelworkers to hold ‘all-out indefinite strike’ | Business News


Around 1,500 workers at Tata Steel are to hold an “all-out indefinite strike”, a union has announced.

The industrial action at Port Talbot and Llanwern, Newport, will begin on 8 July and is expected to “severely impact” the company’s UK operations, Unite said.

It comes in response to plans to close Tata Steel’s blast furnaces in South Wales, putting 2,800 jobs at risk, according to the union.

Unite said it would be the first time in more than 40 years that steel workers in the UK have gone on strike.

Industrial action short of a walkout, including staff working to rule and a ban on overtime, began earlier this week.

The union’s general secretary Sharon Graham said: “The strikes will go on until Tata halts its disastrous plans.

“Unite is backing Tata’s workers to the hilt in their historic battle to save the Welsh steel industry and give it the bright future it deserves.”

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.


Source link

Views: 0

See also  Have kids? Good luck buying a house this year

Check Also

The young people rejecting a bank-breaking prom

Teenage entrepreneurs at Huntington School change the way pupils shop for a prom dress. BBC …

Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn't over yet. Why?

The walkout, which was due to start on Thursday, has been suspended while union members …

The fight against foreign developers buying Caribbean beaches

Campaigners in Barbuda, Grenada and Jamaica say they can no longer access their coastlines. BBC …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Lexonrank | free link building tool | automated seo backlinks.