google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Olympics 2024: Canada send home two staff members over New Zealand drone incident

Canada women’s manager Beverly Priestman will not take charge of her side’s Olympics opener against New Zealand after two members of her backroom staff were sent home for allegedly flying a drone over the Kiwis’ team training session.

Priestman, 38, has “voluntarily withdrawn” from Thursday’s match in St Etienne after the New Zealand Olympic Committee reported that a drone had been flown over their training session on Monday.

Jasmine Mander, Priestman’s assistant, has been sent home along with “unaccredited analyst” Joseph Lombardi.

The Canadian Olympic Committee say a scouting report filed by Lombardi was sent to Mander.

Priestman says she takes responsibility for the actions of her colleagues.

“I first and foremost want to apologise to the players and staff at New Zealand Football and to the players on Team Canada. This does not represent the values that our team stands for,” Priestman said.

“I am ultimately responsible for conduct in our program.”

The COC confirmed on Wednesday that a “non-accredited member of the Canada Soccer support team” was detained by authorities.

“The Canadian Olympic Committee stands for fair play and we are shocked and disappointed,” it added in a statement., external

“We offer our heartfelt apologies to New Zealand Football, to all the players affected, and to the New Zealand Olympic Committee.”

The NZOC said it has “formally lodged the incident with the IOC integrity unit and has asked Canada for a full review”.

“The NZOC and New Zealand Football are committed to upholding the integrity and fairness of the Olympic Games and are deeply shocked and disappointed by this incident.”


Source link

Views: 0

See also  Premier League ticket prices: Fans paying £73.50 on average as matchday revenue soars

Check Also

Boxing: The south Wales valley club back from the brink and producing winners

A boxing gym in the Cynon Valley that was once on the brink of closure …

Oleksandr Usyk beats Rico Verhoeven: What next for heavyweight division?

Moses Itauma continues to gather momentum as the most exciting British heavyweight prospect in years. …

World Snooker Championship: ‘Shocking’ semi-final miss still hurts Mark Allen

Allen was commended for his immediate reaction to the semi-final loss when he paid tribute …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime