google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

More than 1,000 migrants cross English Channel in a day

B3b175f0 3ee5 11f0 a438 afaf6e874ac1.jpg

Jacob Panons

BBC News, South East

PA Media A group of people in maroon blankets walking in a line with their backs to the camera.PA Media

The latest Home Office figures showed 1,194 migrants arrived in 18 boats on Saturday

More than 1,100 migrants arrived in the UK after crossing the English Channel on Saturday, the highest number recorded on a single day so far in 2025.

The latest Home Office figures showed 1,194 people arrived in 18 small boats.

This year could see a new record set, with the number of arrivals so far being the highest recorded in the first five months of a year.

On Sky News’ Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips, Defence Secretary John Healey said Britain had “lost control of its borders over the last five years”.

The most recent arrivals bring the annual total so far to 14,811, up 42% on this time last year and 95% up from the same point in 2023.

Almost 37,000 people crossed the Channel in small boats in 2024 but the highest figures were for 2022, when 45,755 people arrived.

The highest daily total of arrivals since data began in 2018 was 1,305, which was recorded on 3 September, 2022.

Healey called the scenes of migrants being picked up by smugglers “like a taxi” to be brought to the UK “shocking”.

He said an agreement was in place with French authorities, who rescued 184 on Saturday, to change the way they worked.

“Our concentration now is to push them to get that into operation so they can intercept these smugglers and stop these people in the boats, not just on the shore,” Healey added.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “We all want to end dangerous small boat crossings, which threaten lives and undermine our border security.

“The people-smuggling gangs do not care if the vulnerable people they exploit live or die, as long as they pay, and we will stop at nothing to dismantle their business models and bring them to justice.

“That is why this government has put together a serious plan to take down these networks at every stage.”

Additional reporting from PA Media.


BBC News

Views: 0

See also  'Liquid discharge' from Fleetwood landfill site investigated

Check Also

Severn Trent to fix ‘noisy’ Shirebrook manhole after months of wait

The manhole sits in the middle of a crossroads with Station Road, where there is …

Firefighters tackle blaze at Bermondsey waste centre

About 100 firefighters are tackling a massive blaze at a waste facility in south-east London. …

Charity leader leaves £1m legacy gift to Cumbria group

An organisation which provides financial support to charities across a county has received an “incredible” …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime