google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Green Man festival cancels burning ceremony over wildfire risk

Advertisements

A long-standing Green Man festival tradition has been cancelled due to the risk of fire in drought conditions.

The festival, which starts on 20 August near Crickhowell, Powys, said it will not burn the large wooden Green Man figure which is set alight each year during the event’s closing ceremony.

Organisers said safety measures had been put in place including banning disposable BBQs and campfires after an emergency phone alert warning of wildfires was issued on Friday.

Wildfires continue to burn across Wales, with about 200 members of the Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment, alongside Royal Engineers, Royal Logistics Corps and Army helicopters all sent to help support fire crews.

The festival said the change to the closing ceremony was a difficult decision to make but the right one due to the extreme weather conditions.

The tradition of festival-goers placing wishes on the Green Man figure will still be available but sensitively handled, it added.

“We are planning something very special that will evoke excitement, connection and hope for the future, which the ceremony leaves us with every year,” a spokesperson said.

On Monday, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it continued to manage a large wildfire near Morfa Bychan Beach in Pendine, Carmarthenshire.

Meanwhile, it added a large wildfire at Rhandirmwyn near Llandovery, was now no longer considered a major incident, with residents who were previously evacuated as a precaution now able to return to their homes.


BBC News

See also  E-scooter battery caused house blaze

Check Also

Jack Shore: Former UFC fighter turned coach promoting first event

Nearly two years after retiring from fighting in professional mixed martial arts, Jack Shore’s name …

Wales' papers: Lies of 'Tinder trap' fraudster and residents 'targeted' by teens

A review of the front page stories from the daily and weekly newspapers in Wales. …

Pollution behind coracle fishing in Carmarthenshire river’s decline

Keith Elias’s family have been fishing on the river for 300 years – he said …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime