google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

GHF says 20 killed in ‘crowd surge’ at aid site

C2ab6a00 621e 11f0 a40e a1af2950b220.jpg

Advertisements

Twenty people trying to get food have been killed “amid a chaotic and dangerous surge” at an aid distribution centre in southern Gaza, the US- and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) says.

Nineteen were trampled to death and one was stabbed in the “tragic incident” at the GHF’s site in the Khan Younis area, a statement said, adding that it believed the surge was “driven by agitators in the crowd” who were affiliated to Hamas.

It was not immediately possible to verify the report.

However, Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis earlier said it had received the bodies of 10 people who were killed due to “suffocation” after an aid site was closed by the GHF’s US private security contractors.

There have been almost daily reports of Palestinians being killed while seeking aid since the GHF began operations in late May. Witnesses say most have been shot by Israeli forces.

The UN human rights office said on Tuesday that it had so far recorded 674 killings in the vicinity of the GHF’s four sites in southern and central Gaza over the past six weeks. Another 201 killings had been recorded along routes of UN and other aid convoys, it added.

Before Wednesday, the GHF had denied that there had been any deadly incidents in close proximity to its sites and accused the UN of using “false and misleading” figures from Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

The Israeli military said last week that it recognised there had been incidents in which civilians had been harmed and that it was working to minimise “possible friction between the population and the [Israeli] forces as much as possible”.

The GHF uses private security contractors to distribute aid from sites in Israeli military zones.

The UN refuses to co-operate with it, describing its set up as unethical.


BBC News

See also  Olympics organisers 'deeply apologise' for mistakenly calling South Korea North Korea during opening ceremony | World News

Check Also

Taking a 180mph spin round America’s birthday Grand Prix racetrack

The BBC’s Helena Humphrey took a test drive ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, …

Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand

More than 50 co-ordinated arson and incendiary attacks “aimed at creating unrest” have been carried …

Trump Mobile promoted a phone – but the details kept changing

When Trump Mobile was launched by US President Donald Trump’s eldest sons in the summer …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime