google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Fire attack at house ‘linked to Edinburgh gang feud’

82a7e180 11f7 11f0 a554 73ded066708c.jpg

Advertisements
BBC A house damaged by fire. The house is made of white and yellow stone. The roof has caved in and is black with fire damage. In front of it is a green barrier and in front of that is a silver barrier with white and blue police tape attached.BBC

The house in the Hay Drive area was the latest to be targeted in a series of attacks in Edinburgh

Police believe a deliberate fire at a house in Edinburgh is connected to an ongoing gang feud in the city.

The home on Hay Drive, in the Niddrie area, was targeted at about 01:20 on Friday, but the blaze quickly spread to a neighbouring property.

Emergency crews attended and the fire was extinguished, however both homes were badly damaged.

Officers have appealed for information and say the blaze was likely linked to a series of other fire-raising incidents and the discharge of firearms at several properties.

No one was injured in the blaze, police said.

A motorbike carrying two individuals was seen in the area around the time of the fire and officers are keen to trace anyone who saw the vehicle.

Det Supt Paul Grainger said it was “vital” to track down those responsible.

He said: “While we believe this was a targeted attack, the fire has spread to a neighbouring property and the consequences could have been far more serious.

“Our inquiries suggest this incident is linked to groups who are actively targeting each other but we understand this will be concerning for the local community.

“Please be assured we are working hard to trace those involved. Our action this week demonstrates our commitment to tackling this type of crime.”

Two police vans in front of a fire damaged house in Edinburgh.

Police believe the attack could be linked to rival groups in Edinburgh targeting each other

Two more arrests have been made this week by officers investigating the feud.

Local officers carried out raids on five houses in Edinburgh and Musselburgh on Thursday alongside Police Scotland’s specialist organised crime team.

A number of items relevant to the investigation were seized including weapons, drugs and cash.

Two men, age 25 and 33, were arrested and charged with drugs offences.

A 38-year-old man was reported to the procurator fiscal, and a 30-year-old man was given two recorded police warnings, for drugs offences.

Detectives, supported by firearms officers, also executed two additional firearms search warrants in the Leith area of Edinburgh on Friday morning.

‘Serious consequences’

Six have been arrested in total, with officers checking around 1,600 vehicles and 2,400 hours of CCTV footage

Four people were previously arrested on Thursday in connection with incidents believed to be linked to rival groups targeting each other.

A 28-year-old man was charged with threatening and abusive behaviour in relation to an incident on 20 March.

Another man, 38, was charged with the reset of a stolen vehicle. A 34-year-old woman was also arrested, but was later released.

Meanwhile, police have reported a 16-year-old boy to the procurator fiscal for possession of an offensive weapon on 7 March, alongside various road traffic offences and reset of a stolen vehicle.

A property in the Niddrie Marischal Crescent area was targeted in a shooting on 20 March.

A separate incident of a gun being fired at a house in Pilton is also still under investigation.

Ch Supt David Robertson, divisional commander for Edinburgh, said: “These incidents could have had much more serious consequences and I want to make it clear this behaviour will not be tolerated.

“Significant inquiries are ongoing in relation to all of these incidents, and we are utilising all available resources to identify those responsible and bring them to justice.”

Anyone with information relevant to the investigation has been urged to contact Police Scotland via the non-emergency line, or call Crimestoppers.

See also  New ride could be built at Landmark rollercoaster accident park

BBC News

Views: 1

See also  Heat networks could warm Inverness homes in the future

Check Also

Scotland's papers: Shipyard job cuts and cancer 'timebomb'

A review of the front page stories from the daily newspapers in Scotland. BBC News …

Watchdog finds £22m of fraud and errors in Scotland’s public services

Frauds and errors worth an estimated £22m in Scotland’s public services have been identified by …

Taxpayers will foot bill for shortfall on PFI hospital upgrades

Tens of millions of pounds of taxpayers’ cash will be needed to bring the Royal …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime