google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Chidimma Adetshina nationality row: South Africa to strip beauty queen of ID documents

The controversy sparked a wave of xenophobic vitriol in South Africa after which Ms Adetshina told the BBC she would need therapy to recover.

The Department of Home Affairs made the announcement about the withdrawal of her ID papers to a parliamentary committee on Tuesday.

Tommy Makhode, the top civil servant at the department, said Ms Adetshina’s mother would also have her documents cancelled as they had both failed to meet Monday’s deadline to provide reasons why they should be eligible to keep them.

Neither Ms Adestshina nor her mother have commented on the move to revoke their papers.

Mr Makhode said the case had been referred to the Hawks, a special police unit that investigates serious crimes, which had concluded that it was a “case of fraud” – and officials were awaiting on prosecutors about how to proceed.

After the department’s revelation in August, it had said that Ms Adestshina “could not have participated in the alleged unlawful actions of her mother as she was an infant at the time”.

Ms Adestahina has previously said she was born in the South African township of Soweto.

After winning the beauty competition in Nigeria, she told that BBC that she still saw herself as “proudly South African” and “proudly Nigerian”.

Ms Adetshina has just arrived in Mexico to represent Nigeria at the Miss Universe competition to be held on 16 November.

She will compete against contestants from across the world, including Mia le Roux, who won this year’s Miss South Africa contest.


Source link

Views: 1

See also  Kenyans drop flowers for Valentine's bouquets of cash. Not everyone is impressed

Check Also

Sierra Leone becomes latest African country to receive deportees from US

Nine deportees arrive from the US as part of Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration. …

Why does DR Congo keep facing disease outbreaks?

For years, DR Congo has made headlines for deadly disease outbreaks, from Ebola to mpox …

More die of suspected Ebola as WHO warns that numbers will rise further

In its latest update, the World Health Organization says there have now been 139 suspected …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime