google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Caver rescued in eight-hour operation after Peak District fall

99e71620 3472 11f0 a52c bfe6e86040d7.jpg

Isaac Ashe

BBC News, Derby

Derbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation A team of people in harnesses with a winch system set up at the entrance to an underground cave systemDerbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation

A complex operation was needed to bring the caver to the surface

A caver who fell underground in the Peak District had to be rescued in an eight-hour operation.

A group of cavers had been visiting the Derbyshire Hall chamber inside the Nettle Pot cave near Castleton, Derbyshire, on Saturday when one of them suffered pelvic injuries in a fall.

Some 32 volunteers from the Derbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation (DCRO) were called to treat and then bring the caver to safety.

They were then passed into the care of East Midlands Ambulance Service.

Derbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation A view of the scale of the operation in the fields viewed from a nearby hilltopDerbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation

Emergency services joined volunteers at the scene near Castleton

A DCRO spokesperson said: “We understand the casualty is thankfully not seriously injured and wish them a swift recovery.”

The spokesperson added a further nine hours of work from volunteers was needed to clean and sort the equipment used in the operation.

Derbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation A concrete shaft used to enter the cave with a person in the entranceDerbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation

The entrance to the cave system is near Castleton


BBC News

See also  Winchester University a 'culture change', says 75-year-old fresher

Check Also

Cheltenham Club bans group after fireworks are let off

An Assistant High Commissioner of Bangladesh attended the tournament, along with Gloucestershire County and Cheltenham …

Hatfield man, 83, offered morphine to woman who later died

An 83-year-old man had admitted offering morphine to a woman who later died. Lily Gomes, …

Boy, 14, dies in hospital after being hit by bus in Portsmouth

A 14-year-old boy has died after being hit by a bus, whose driver was subsequently …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime