google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Canadian Open: Jannik Sinner knocked out by Andrey Rublev

World number one Jannik Sinner was knocked out of the Canadian Open in the quarter-finals by Russia’s Andrey Rublev.

The world number eight won 6-3 1-6 6-2 against the Italian top seed in a rain-interrupted match in Montreal.

Sinner struggled with an injury to his right hip and the 22-year-old frequently massaged the area, which could be a concern to him with the US Open starting in a fortnight’s time.

“It was a really great match of mine. Jannik is an amazing player and he has played unbelievably for two years. I was just hoping I would be able to fight with him,” the 26-year-old said.

Rain wiped out Friday’s play so both men had played their last-16 matches earlier in the day, with Sinner defeating Chile’s Alejandro Tabilo 6-4 6-3 and Rublev seeing off American qualifier Brandon Nakashima 6-2 6-2.

Rublev will face another Italian, Matteo Arnaldi, in the semi-finals after he beat Japan’s Kei Nishikori 6-4 7-5.

In the women’s tournament in Toronto, defending champion Jessica Pegula beat fellow American Peyton Stearns 6-4 7-5 to reach the semi-finals.

Pegula will play Diana Shnaider in the last four after she won 4-6 6-1 6-4 against fellow Russian Liudmila Samsonova.

Amanda Anisimova of the United States – who returned to tennis at the end of 2023 following a ninth-month break because of mental health issues – upset Belarus’ Aryna Sabalenka 6-4 6-2.

Anisimova will face Emma Navarro, who defeated another American Taylor Townsend 6-3 7-6 (7-5).

The US Open in New York starts on 26 August.


Source link

See also  Norrie through to round two in straight sets

Check Also

BBC Sport quiz: Five in Five Formula 1 quiz No 1

Formula 1 returns from its summer break and heads to Zandvoort for the Dutch Grand …

Kevin Keegan: Liverpool vs Newcastle Premier League highlights from 1996

BBC Sport looks back at one of the Premier League’s best ever games as Newcastle, …

Eddie Hearn: Nobody can stop Tyson Fury-Anthony Joshua fight from happening

Promoter Eddie Hearn said “no-one can pull out” of the proposed fight between Tyson Fury …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime