google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Attacker among around 10 killed in shooting at adult education centre in Sweden | World News

Police in Sweden have said “around” 10 people have been killed in a shooting at an adult education centre.

A spokesperson said in a press conference this evening that police believe the “primary perpetrator” is dead and acted alone. They do not expect more attacks, officers added.

Police said that they do not know the motive but don’t believe it is terrorism. They said that they “had no warning sign” about the attack.

On its website, police said that they are working to identify the perpetrator and the victims.

Sweden shooting latest: ‘Everything points to typical loner attack’

The damage at the crime scene was so extensive that investigators were unable to be more definitive on the number killed, said Roberto Eid Forest, head of the local police.

“When it comes to saying anything more about the perpetrator, it is still very early. The operation is ongoing and that will undoubtedly become clearer. But we are working very intensively right now,” Mr Forest said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Footage shows classroom on lockdown during shooting

He described the attack as a “horrible” incident, calling it “exceptional” and a “nightmare”.

The suspected gunman had not previously been known to police, Mr Forest said.

Earlier, Swedish police said that five people had been shot in the attack at the centre, called Campus Risbergska, in the town of Orebro, around 200km (125 miles) west of the capital Stockholm.

Police urged the public to stay away from the centre.

A police officer at Risbergska School in Orebro, Sweden.
Pic: TT News Agency/Kicki Nilsson/Reuters
Image:
A police officer at the school. Pic: Reuters

At least five people were taken to hospital. Four underwent surgery – one is critically injured, two are stable and one is lightly injured, police said at an earlier press conference.

Officers were also searching and evacuating the premises.

Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter said police officers had been shot at, but police said no officers had been shot.

The centre is for students over the age of 20, according to its website. It offers primary and upper secondary school courses, as well as Swedish classes for immigrants, vocational training and programmes for people with intellectual disabilities.

Google Maps shows a number of schools for children in the vicinity.

The shooting happened after many students had gone home following a national exam.

Read more: What we know about Sweden shooting so far

A helicopter at the scene of the shooting  at Risbergska School, in Orebro. 
Pic: Kicki Nilsson/TT News Agency/AP
Image:
A police helicopter above the scene. Pic: AP

Students were taking shelter in nearby buildings and other parts of the campus have been evacuated.

Teacher Lena Warenmark told SVT News that there were unusually few students on the campus on Tuesday afternoon after the exam. She also told the broadcaster that she heard probably 10 gunshots.

Andreas Sundling, 28, was among those forced to barricade themselves inside the school.

“We heard three bangs and loud screams,” he told Expressen newspaper while sheltering in a classroom.

“Now we’re sitting here waiting to be evacuated from the school. The information we have received is that we should sit and wait.”

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported one person trapped in the centre saying “we have heard several shots outside”.

The newspaper also quoted a person who had received a text from a teacher at the centre saying “there was a shooting with automatic weapons”.

It said local emergency and intensive care departments are being made ready for casualties.

“The reports of violence in Orebro are very serious. The police are on site and the operation is in full swing,” Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer told news agency TT. “The government is in close contact with the police, and is closely following developments.”

See also  Desperate hunt for breakthrough in Nancy Guthrie case turns to Mexico

Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said that it was “a very painful day for all of Sweden” in a post on X.

“My thoughts are also with all those whose normal school day was replaced with terror,” Kristersson said. “Being confined to a classroom with fear for your own life is a nightmare that no one should have to experience.

“My call is also to now give the police the peace of mind they need to investigate what happened and how these horrific crimes could have occurred,” he added.

Fatal attacks at educational establishments in Sweden are rare, with 10 killed in seven incidents between 2010 and 2022, according to the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.


Source link

Advertisements
Views: 0

See also  Dozens trapped as tornado hits Michigan FedEx depot

Check Also

Timelapse footage shows giant ‘cave’ inflated over Paris bridge

Timelapse footage shows Paris’ oldest bridge being transformed overnight into a giant inflatable cave structure. …

Africa summit in India postponed over Ebola outbreak fears

The India-Africa summit was set to be held next week in Delhi after more than …

Australian man dies after falling down ravine on hike to Machu Picchu

The body of Matthew Cameron Paton, 53, was found on Thursday, about 300m (984ft) down …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Lexonrank | free link building tool | automated seo backlinks.