google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

UFC 326: Max Holloway says coaches don’t like trademark point-down but it makes him feel ‘alive’

Advertisements

Holloway, 34, first did the point-down against Ricardo Lamas in 2016, while he repeated it against Dustin Poirier last year in becoming the first fighter to defend the BMF title.

In every fight Holloway has initiated the point-down, he has been up on the judges’ scorecards and closing in on a win, meaning he has given opponents one final opportunity to steal victory.

“My coaches aren’t a fan of it, they want me to circle away, stay away and be smart for the 10 seconds,” said Holloway.

“But they come up with great game plans and we execute it to that point. So let me have my 10 seconds of fun, you know. If I’m on the wrong end, then so be it.”

Fans imitate the gesture during meet-and-greets with Holloway, while fellow fighters have also copied it during bouts.

Charles Oliveira, who faces Holloway for the BMF title at UFC 326 in Las Vegas on Saturday, has even been filmed training for the edge-of-your-seat exchange which follows the point-down.

Holloway has created a set of rules for any fighter, including Oliveira, planning to initiate the point-down.

“If you’re winning the fight, you are the person who can call the 10 seconds. And then when you call the 10 seconds, you cannot step back, or shoot or clinch,” said Holloway.

“The other guy, if he obliges and then shoots or clinches, whatever, because he’s on the losing side already.”


BBC News

Views: 3

See also  US Open 2025: Sam Burns leads, Scott, Spaun, Hovland, Hatton and MacIntyre among chasers

Check Also

Canadian Grand Prix 2026: George Russell aiming to put ‘turbulent’ season start behind him

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which is situated on the Ile Notre Dame in the St …

Canadian Grand Prix 2026: Lewis Hamilton says he has no plans to retire from Formula 1

Hamilton had already hinted last year that he was contracted to Ferrari for 2027, saying …

Caoimhin Agyarko: Belfast man to fight Josh Kelly for IBF light-middleweight title

Belfast’s Caoimhin Agyarko will challenge Josh Kelly for the IBF light-middleweight title this summer. Agyarko …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Our free link building tool gives you instant access to contextual links from thousands of websites worldwide.