google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Trump’s mass firings to remain on hold, appeals court rules

5f3fa770 3e23 11f0 a630 5f905e7d7396.jpg

Advertisements

Mass firings of federal employees which were ordered by US President Donald Trump will remain paused, an appeals court has ruled.

President Trump had signed an executive order in February directing agency heads to begin “large-scale reductions” in staffing. Those efforts to slash the federal workforce were halted by a California judge earlier this month.

On Friday in a 2-1 ruling, a San Francisco-based appeals court denied the Trump administration’s request to unfreeze that injunction.

The administration may request for the US Supreme Court to weigh in.

“The Executive Order at issue here far exceeds the President’s supervisory powers under the Constitution,” the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals wrote. “The President enjoys significant removal power with respect to the appointed officers of federal agencies.”

The Trump administration had sought an emergency stay of an injunction which had been given by Judge Susan Illston of San Francisco. The judge questioned how an overhaul of federal agencies could be actioned without congressional authorisation.

The case was brought by federal employees unions, local governments and non-profits who argued against Trump’s executive order, as well as directives which were issued by the Office of Personnel Management and Office of Management and Budget to implement Trump’s policy.

The cuts are part of the Trump administrations efforts to curtail government spending through funding freezes and firings – led by the Department of Government Efficiency (Doge).

Trump has repeatedly promised to slash government spending and reduce the federal workforce. He tasked billionaire Elon Musk and Doge with leading that charge.

Tens of thousands of federal workers have reportedly been fired, taken buyouts or been placed on leave since Trump took office.

The Trump administration said they plan to fight back against the latest court ruling.

“A single judge is attempting to unconstitutionally seize the power of hiring and firing from the Executive Branch,” the White House said in a statement to US media.


BBC News

Views: 0

See also  Robert Burke: Retired US admiral charged with bribery over Navy contract

Check Also

Five people and suspected gunman killed after mass shooting in Michigan | US News

Five people and a suspected gunman have died after a series of shootings in the …

Donald Trump dismisses concerns about conditions on US aircraft carrier | US News

Donald Trump has downplayed the impact on American sailors who have spent nearly nine months …

Potential disaster averted after jets share identical flight number | US News

A potential mid-air collision was averted in the US after a Phoenix air traffic controller …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime