google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Teenage boy attacked in Corby sustained gunshot wound, say police

61474450 1831 11f0 ac48 7594a519233f.jpg

Neve Gordon-Farleigh

BBC News, Northamptonshire

Ant Saddington/BBC A marked blue and yellow fluorescent police car is parked by the side of the road. By a white van is two people dressed in white hazmat suits with purple gloves and black shoes. Ant Saddington/BBC

Northamptonshire Police previously said the incident on Westcott Way was a “serious assault”

A 17-year-old boy seriously injured in an attack sustained a gunshot wound, police have now revealed.

Northamptonshire Police had previously described the incident in Westcott Way, Corby, shortly after 16:30 BST on Friday as a “serious assault”, and did not provide further details of the incident.

The force is now appealing for people in the area to check their doorbell and CCTV cameras for anything that could assist officers with their inquiries.

Det Ch Insp Mark Hopkinson, said: “I want to reassure our local residents that we have a team of detectives working on the case in order to bring the person or people responsible to justice.”

Police said the teenager was taken to hospital where he remained in a serious but stable condition.

The force said detectives were working at a “fast pace” to find whoever was responsible.

On Friday, images on social media showed a large number of police cars and emergency service vehicles in the area.

Extra patrols took place on Friday and Saturday, police said.

Ant Saddington/BBC Blue and white police tape cordons off an area in Corby. The area inside the cordon is a path through an area of grass surrounded by trees on either side. At the back of the cordon is a group of police officers in their uniform. Ant Saddington/BBC

The force is appealing for people to check CCTV and doorbell footage between 16:00 BST and 16:35 on Friday

Det Ch Insp Hopkinson said the force was looking for CCTV or doorbell camera footage from the area between 16:00 and 16:35 on Friday.

Even if the property did not overlook the scene, the force was interested in any audio that devices may have picked up.

“Any small piece of information could be vital and we would rather receive well-meaning information that turns out to be nothing than to not receive it at all,” he said.

“While we are satisfied that the risk to members of the public is low from this targeted incident, we understand how the local community will be feeling and therefore extra police patrols will continue to take place in and around the area for the next few days to reassure people.”


BBC News

Views: 0

See also  Derby: Faith leaders say anti-racism protest 'brought us together'

Check Also

Super League: Castleford 30-10 St Helens – Jason Qareqare hat-trick

Castleford: Laulu-Togaga’e; Valemei, Cini, Mapapalangi, Qareqare; Asi, Weaver; Stimson, Golding, Dupree, Lane, Mellor, Lawler. Interchanges: …

Hull City's team coach damaged ahead of Wembley final, police say

A window was smashed but no players were onboard at the time, the Met says. …

Surprise party marks RAF veteran's 105th birthday

The veteran eats “more cake” and does “more partying” than ever before. BBC News Views: …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Nordicnodes | professional saas tools for everyone.