
BBC News, Hertfordshire
Asim MasudA man whose parents are buried at a cemetery where Muslim graves and plaques were vandalised has described the response of a council and the police as “appalling”.
The damage in the Muslim section of Carpenders Park Lawn Cemetery in Hertfordshire is being treated as an Islamophobic hate crime.
But Asim Masud, 51, from the Friends Of Carpenders Park Cemetery, said Brent Council had not tidied up and the promise of more police patrols had not been kept.
Brent Council said it would repair the damage as quickly as possible and the police said there had been extra patrols every day since the vandalism on 13 April.
Wadi FuneralcareMr Masud said as well as his parents, other family members and friends were buried at the cemetery in Watford and he went there regularly.
“When I visited yesterday I was quite appalled that the damaged graves were all exactly the same [as they were last week] and in the same state.
“There was no clean-up and there has been no dignity shown to the graves and I just think it is appalling the way they have responded,” he said.
“They’ve told us it is an important issue, that it was hate crime and that they want to protect the community and show some dignity, but they need to do what they say.”
Mr Masud added: “It is our responsibility to make sure we give them some kind of dignity in their rest.
“But unfortunately I have had to clear up the graves to make it look a little bit more presentable – again, I am doing the job of Brent Council.”
Asim MasudMuhammed Butt, the Labour leader of Brent Council, the site’s owner, said it would reinstate the damaged name plaques and return the cemetery to a “peaceful, quiet place of remembrance as quickly as possible”.
He added: “For it to be in the Muslim children’s section makes it even more hurtful for the families and their loved ones.
“We in Brent Council continue to work closely with the police and we want to support the families affected to make sure that the perpetrators are brought to justice.
“The council’s team is at hand to support any family impacted.”
Wadi FuneralcareChief Supt Jon Simpson, of Hertfordshire Police, said: “We can confirm that increased patrols have been carried out at the cemetery every day since the graves were damaged and officers have been speaking with families to provide reassurance and advice.”
He added: “We are also continuing our efforts to contact all those whose loved ones’ graves have been affected by this crime.”
The force wants to hear from anyone who saw suspicious activity in the area between 13:00 BST on 11 April and 17:00 on Saturday 12 April.
BBC News
