google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Railway trespasser jailed after causing delays

A trespasser who caused rush-hour chaos to passengers travelling via Clapham Junction has been jailed for eight weeks.

A total of 38 trains were delayed or cancelled after Anthony Andre, 42, trespassed on the tracks near the south London station at about 18:30 BST on 10 September.

His actions led to the power being switched off to the electric rail which powers trains through the Clapham area, and caused delays totalling 3,427 minutes – more than 57 hours. Andre was sentenced at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

“Anthony Andre is lucky to be walking away with a prison sentence, as it could have ended in tragedy,” said Paul Langley, Network Rail’s head of security, crime and resilience.

Mr Langley added: “His actions not only put his own life at risk, but caused huge disruption for thousands of passengers.”

The trespass happened during Tube strikes last month, causing even more disruption for some passengers.

“Trespassing on the railway is incredibly dangerous,” Mr Langley said. “Trains in the South East are powered by the electric rail, which carries 750 volts and easily enough to kill or cause devastating life-changing injuries.”

Andre admitted charges of trespass and obstruction at a hearing on 12 September.


BBC News

See also  In Pictures: Sporting photos of the week

Check Also

I fix cars for a living and put out fires in my spare time

By day, 20-year-old Tyrell Cambridge spends his hours fixing vehicles, but when the tools are …

Two men re-arrested after Wylam death of soldier Liam Potts

In a tribute, his family, who called him Pottsy, said he was “the heart and …

Northamptoshire Dogfather set for Strictly after stroke recovery

Speaking to Bernie Keith on BBC Radio Northampton, Hall said he did not expect to …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime