google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Pentagon orders journalists to agree to new reporting rules – or be barred | US News

Journalists at the Pentagon have been told they could be barred if they gather or report information that officials haven’t approved first.

Reporters’ access to the iconic building, the headquarters of the US defence department, is also being curtailed.

Pete Hegseth, the defence secretary, posted on X: “The ‘press’ does not run the Pentagon – the people do.

“The press is no longer allowed to roam the halls of a secure facility. Wear a badge and follow the rules – or go home.”

A memo announcing the changes was sent to reporters on Friday, informing them “information must be approved for public release by an appropriate authorizing official before it is released, even if it is unclassified”.

They must sign an agreement agreeing to the new rules or face having their press pass revoked.

Journalists’ groups said it was a dangerous move that would seriously restrict their ability to hold defence officials to account.

The National Press Club called it “a direct assault on independent journalism at the very place where independent scrutiny matters most: the US military”.

The Society of Professional Journalists said it “would deny the American people the transparency and accountability they deserve”.

“This policy reeks of prior restraint – the most egregious violation of press freedom under the First Amendment – and is a dangerous step toward government censorship,” it said.

“Attempts to silence the press under the guise of ‘security’ are part of a disturbing pattern of growing government hostility toward transparency and democratic norms.”

The Pentagon is home to the newly rebranded Department of War
Image:
The Pentagon is home to the newly rebranded Department of War


The defence department – which recently rebranded itself as the Department of War – said it “remains committed to transparency to promote accountability and public trust”.

However, it stated that disclosing information – even if unclassified – without consent was a potential national security risk.

Read more from Sky News:
US talk show hosts react to Kimmel cancellation
Judge throws out Trump’s $15bn lawsuit against NY Times

The first year of US President Donald Trump’s second term has seen several embarrassing episodes for the Pentagon.

A journalist revealed in March that he had accidentally been included on a group chat, which included the defence secretary and vice president, discussing plans to attack Houthi rebels in Yemen.

The Pentagon said no classified information had been shared but opponents said it showed a worryingly lax approach that could endanger US troops.

Doubts were also raised about America’s bombing of Iran’s nuclear sites earlier this year after a leaked intelligence report suggested the attack had only set the regime back “by months”.

President Trump and the CIA both hit back hard against the report, with the president insisting the underground facilities had been “blown to kingdom come”.

Advertisements

Source link

Views: 4

See also  Trump's claims ISIS targeted in Nigeria 'sketchy', presidential adviser tells Sky News | World News

Check Also

'Not a big fan' – Top Senate Republican breaks with Trump on $1.8bn compensation fund

Thune’s criticism came as Democrats grilled the acting attorney general on Capitol Hill, labelling the …

Watch: Crews battle blaze as thousands evacuated near Los Angeles

The Sandy Fire ignited in the city of Simi Valley and spread across 1,364 acres …

White House ballroom to be ‘drone-proof’ with military complex

US President Donald Trump spoke to reporters at the construction site of his planned White …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
विद्यार्थियों के लिए स्वास्थ्य और सामाजिक जागरूकता कार्यक्रम : सशस्त्र सीमा बल का अद्भुत पहल।.