google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

‘No doubt Ronaldo can play’ against Scotland

Cristiano Ronaldo may not start at Hampden on Tuesday but that certainly does not mean Scotland can relax.

Nations League opponents Portugal have an array of top quality attacking alternatives and the all-time leading goalscorer in men’s international football is unlikely to want to put his feet up altogether in Glasgow.

Head coach Roberto Martinez withdrew Ronaldo after 63 minutes in Saturday’s 3-1 win away to Poland, but explained after the match that the 39-year-old was “perfect” and the switch was about managing minutes.

The veteran striker scored his 133rd Portugal goal in Warsaw and has found the net in all three wins in this campaign, including a late prod in Lisbon to break Scottish hearts.

“Age does not come into play, Ronaldo does not play as a 39-year-old,” said Martinez as the visitors chose to warm up at St Mirren’s SMiSA stadium in Paisley.

“We are assessing every player and how they feel. Cristiano has been working really well in this camp.

“I think the difficulty of playing two games away from home is more how can you prepare between matches? How can you recover with the players?

“I’ve got no doubt that Cristiano, after 60 minutes, can be involved in the second game. I don’t know if he can start or he can finish the game, but he can certainly be involved as he showed in the last game.”


Source link

See also  Woman, 73, dies in Selkirk house fire

Check Also

Council seeks new officer to boost Glasgow’s nightlife

Glasgow City Council says the successful candidate is expected to have previously worked in the …

Your pictures of Scotland: Photographs from around the country

Please ensure that the photograph you send is your own and if you are submitting …

Fire safety review in Borders after blaze closes primary for months

The fire has left the school unusable while works are carried out. Pupils have started …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime