Pacemaker PressA Jury has been sworn in at the inquest into the death of Belfast schoolboy Noah Donohoe.
The body of the 14-year-old was found in a storm drain in north Belfast on 27 June 2020, six days after he went missing.
A post-mortem examination found that his death was due to drowning.
Noah was a pupil at St Malachy’s College on the Antrim Road.
Pacemaker PressThe jury selection process began in private on Monday under the direction of the coroner Mr Justice Rooney.
Around 100 members of the public were in court for consideration as potential jury members at the beginning of a protracted and thorough process.
The number was eventually reduced to 23 people who met the requirements of being a jury member in the case.
After one further excusal, the number was reduced to 22 this morning.
The eleven members of the jury – nine men and two women – as well as four reserves, were then drawn by ballot from the group of 22.
Noah’s mother, Fiona Donohoe, watched on as the jury members were sworn in individually.
Mr Justice Rooney told the members of the jury that today “is a very difficult day for her”.
He said she had to wait some time for the inquest to begin and the coroner then gave a brief overview of the schoolboy’s disappearance and death.
He also warned the jury members that they must reached a verdict based only on the evidence they hear at the inquest.
The inquest will now proceed to an opening statement.
Pacemaker PressWhat happened to Noah Donohoe?
Noah disappeared after cycling to the Shore Road in north Belfast from his home at Fitzroy Avenue in south Belfast in the afternoon of 21 June 2020.
The last reported sighting of him was at around 18:00 BST that evening.
Noah’s disappearance prompted a major search operation with hundreds of people from across Belfast involved.
His body was found downstream in a storm drain on 27 June.
His mother has led a high-profile campaign for answers around her son’s death.
She is being supported by family members, and her solicitor Niall Murphy.
Her counsel, Brenda Campbell KC, told a preliminary hearing last year that Ms Donohoe wanted a “full and fearless” inquest into her son’s death.
BBC News
