google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Gaza war: ICJ orders Israel to stop Rafah offensive

The UN’s top court, the International Court of Justice (ICJ), has ordered Israel to “immediately halt its military offensive in Rafah”, supporting a request brought by South Africa.

South Africa made an application last week seeking a number of measures against Israel, accusing it of stepping up what it says is a genocide.

Israel has vehemently denied the allegation as baseless and has signalled it would ignore any order to halt its operation. Ahead of Friday’s ruling, a government spokesperson said “no power on Earth will stop Israel from protecting its citizens and going after Hamas in Gaza”.

Israeli began a long-anticipated offensive in Rafah about three weeks ago, vowing to destroy the remaining Hamas battalions there. It says it believes Israeli hostages are also being held in the town.

The UN says more than 800,000 Palestinians have fled from Rafah since the offensive began. About 1.5 million had been sheltering there from the fighting elsewhere in Gaza.


Source link

See also  Gaza war: UN defends casualty tally amid Israeli anger

Check Also

Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

Whilst in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. According to Israeli media …

Activists deliver aid to Palestinians in homes besieged by Israeli settlers

Activists have tried to delivered supplies to Palestinians whose homes in the occupied West Bank …

Lebanon parliament votes to abolish death penalty

Lebanon’s parliament has voted to abolish the death penalty, a move that would make it …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime