google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Edmundo González: The man challenging Venezuela’s Maduro

According to non-governmental group Foro Penal, 72 opposition campaign workers have been arrested since 4 July, when the election campaign officially kicked off.

Despite these attacks on the opposition campaign, Mr González’s tone and rhetoric have been calm and measured, in keeping with his past as an ambassador.

“I never imagined I would be in this position,” he told BBC News Mundo about becoming the opposition’s unity candidate.

In a change from the infighting which has hampered the Venezuelan opposition in the past, he has appeared shoulder-to-shoulder with María Corina Machado, whom he continues to refer to as “the opposition leader”.

He has also struck a conciliatory tone when addressing those who support Mr Maduro, promising “reconciliation” were he to win on Sunday.

“We aim for those who support the government – which is a dwindling number of people – to listen to our call for a coming together of all Venezuelans,” he told BBC News Mundo in June.

It is a message he has repeated time and time again.

“Enough of the shouting and the insults, it’s time to come together,” he urged in a prayer meeting just a week before the polls.

His reconciliatory tone in a country which has seen divisions between government and opposition supporters get ever deeper over the past 11 years is in stark contrast to that of his rival, President Maduro, who has warned of a “bloodbath” should Mr González win.

Senior members of the Maduro administration have repeatedly dismissed Mr González as “a poor old man” who “is part of a perverse plan to inflict harm on our people”.

Despite these personal attacks on him, Mr González has steadfastly insisted that reaching out to those who are on the other side of the political divide is the only way to forge “national reconciliation”.

Asked about widespread fears that the result of the election may be tampered with – the 2018 re-election of Mr Maduro was widely dismissed as neither free nor fair – Mr González has insisted that he is hopeful that the opposition will win with such a majority that it will make his victory hard to contest.

“They have wanted to spread fear of change, they want you to be afraid to express yourselves on Sunday, but what they’re not counting on is the bravery of the Venezuelan people,” he said a week before the polls.


Source link

See also  American citizen among those killed in Cuba boat shooting, US official says

Check Also

Woman pulled alive from rubble 36 hours after Colombia quake

A 32-year-old woman, who had been trapped under rubble for 36 hours following the 7.4-magnitude …

Anguish of Colombian brother at rubble of building being searched for earthquake survivors

The magnitude 7.4 earthquake that struck Colombia on Monday, 10 August, is the worst in …

In shattered Cali, residents search for loved ones and signs of hope

Most deaths were reported in Cali, Colombia’s third-most populous city, as crews search collapsed buildings …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime