google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

County Sligo: Search for fisherman resumes

Advertisements

A search for a fisherman missing off the coast of County Sligo in the Republic of Ireland has resumed.

Emergency services were alerted at about 20:00 local time on Thursday when a member of the public reported a fishing vessel had run aground close to Mullaghmore Head.

A multi-agency search is centred on an area off Mullaghmore and out into Donegal Bay.

On Saturday, the Irish Coast Guard said it was continuing to coordinate a maritime search in support of gardaí (Irish police) for a missing fisherman.

Malin Head Coast Guard coordination centre is coordinating the search in the Donegal Bay area, with Coast Guard “air and sea assets”, RNLI units and other boats.

Previously, Roisin McBride, from the Irish Coast Guard, said the rescue coordination centre in Malin Head had started an extensive search of the area after a fishing vessel “had run aground with its engine still running”.

A RNLI spokeswoman had said lifeboats from Sligo Bay and Bundoran were requested by the Irish Coast Guard “to divert from a routine training exercise” on Thursday night.

She said that followed a report from a member of the public who raised the alarm after spotting a boat aground with its engine still running off Cliffoney Beach.


BBC News

Views: 0

See also  Spice drug use 'all too common' in NI - PHA

Check Also

Man in 60s dies following tractor crash

The single-vehicle incident happened on the L3355 near Mullaghycullen, Drumcong, on Sunday. BBC News Views: …

Families call on government to apologise for Springhill shootings

An inquest into the shooting of five people in 1972 found the Army “overreacted to …

Irish president to meet King Charles during official visit

It is President Connolly’s first official visit to England since her inauguration in November. BBC …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime