Funding for a one-year pilot scheme extending hours for late night transport in Belfast has been confirmed by the Northern Ireland Executive.
The total estimated costs for the pilot are in the region of £650,000.
Last month, Belfast City Council had agreed to co-fund, alongside Stormont, a late night public transport pilot.
Translink welcomed the news which will see late night bus services on Friday and Saturday evenings in Belfast, adding that it will “build on the success of previous Christmas late night service initiatives”.
“Late night public transport plays a vital role in enabling safe, sustainable travel and supporting the vibrancy of our night-time economy,” Translink chief executive, Chris Conway said.
He added that this will help to “explore the long-term potential for extended late night operations”.
Further details on the one-year pilot are expected to be announced by Translink in the near future.
Translink said it “reflects a shared commitment to enhancing connectivity, supporting the night-time economy, and improving safety for those travelling in and out of the city at night”.
Infrastructure Minister Liz Kimmins and Economy Minister Caoimhe Archibald confirmed funding for the scheme on Thursday.
Kimmins said: “Late night public transport services are in high demand and encourage behavioural shift while supporting the night-time economy and improving safety as people return home in the evenings.
“Providing this service for a 12-month pilot will provide a more consistent and dependable service, which will help stimulate demand.”
Archibald said she had agreed a joint funding approach to the scheme with the Department for Infrastructure.
She said she was “committed to supporting the development of a safe, thriving and diverse night-time economy” and “reliable, late night-transport is key to this”.
“My department has collaborated with Tourism NI and the three Belfast Business Improvement Districts to commission research into the night-time economy in Belfast, Derry and Enniskillen,” she added.
“The interim findings estimate up to £2.5m could be added to the value of Belfast’s night-time economy by extending late-night public transport, far exceeding the cost to deliver the service.”
Last month, Belfast’s night tsar Michael Stewart said a weekend late night service all year round was his primary objective as he began his second term.
He had said the lack of late night transport for Belfast’s Culture Night was a “missed opportunity”.
BBC News