google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Afghanistan: Talks with the Taliban – no women allowed

Two days of talks between the international community and the Afghan Taliban have been productive, diplomats say.

The meetings in Doha were the first to include the Taliban – whose government no country recognises – since they seized power three years ago.

At the Taliban government’s insistence, no civil society representatives were in the room with the Taliban officials, meaning no women from Afghanistan were included, prompting criticism from rights groups and activists.

UN officials met Afghan civil society groups separately on Tuesday.

As the diplomats and media vacate the vast air-conditioned ballrooms of the Qatari capital, has anything changed for Afghanistan in the last few days?

There were no grand announcements, no massive breakthroughs, no solutions – but then none were expected – from the organisers or participants. Instead, the Taliban officials and diplomats seemed quietly and tentatively positive.

The tone was “respectful”, “engaged”, “frank”, according to different diplomats the BBC spoke to. The most repeated phrase was “this is a process”.

There were no concessions gained, nor pledges won from the Taliban delegation, led by spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid. I asked him what the Taliban government would be willing to offer.

“When we go ahead we will see what they [the international community] want and what we can do based on Sharia law,” he told us. “ Whatever is against Sharia law we will not discuss it. Whatever is in the framework of Sharia we will solve it. It is a process and it will continue; we will see where it will take us and how much we will improve.”

The topics on the agenda were counter-narcotics and the private sector, easier topics to cover than issues like human rights or the role of women.

On the latter, the Taliban remained immovable on their view that this is an internal matter.

“We don’t want to discuss these sorts of issues between other countries. We will find a solution for it back home,” said Zabihullah Mujahid.

When the BBC pointed out to him there had been no solutions for nearly three years, and asked why that was, he said: “We are not ignoring it, we are working on it. We are finding a solution for it based on Sharia law.”


Source link

Views: 0

See also  50 'well-preserved' skeletons from Viking Age unearthed in Denmark | World News

Check Also

Ebola outbreak gathering momentum, amid fears of spread, as angry crowd sets fire to treatment centre in Democratic Republic of Congo | World News

Fears are growing that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is …

‘Some good signs’ a US-Iran deal to end war could be in sight, Marco Rubio reveals | US News

Marco Rubio said there are “some good signs” that a deal to end the Iran …

Gaza-bound flotilla movement: All you need to know | World News

Another flotilla has attempted to breach Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza. Israel intercepted the Gaza-bound …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Lexonrank | free link building tool | automated seo backlinks.