google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Maccabi Tel Aviv will not accept Aston Villa Europa League tickets

Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv say they will not accept any ticket allocation from Aston Villa should the decision to ban their supporters from next month’s Europa League match be overturned.

The Safety Advisory Group (SAG) – the body responsible for issuing safety certificates for matches – informed Villa no travelling fans would be permitted at the match in Birmingham last week.

The decision was widely condemned, with Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy pledging that the government will “find the resources” to allow Maccabi fans to attend earlier on Monday.

But Maccabi Tel Aviv now say supporters will not travel for safety reasons.

A club statement said, external: “The wellbeing and safety of our fans is paramount, and from hard lessons learned we have taken the decision to decline any allocation offered on behalf of away fans and our decision should be understood in that context.

“We hope that circumstances will change and look forward to being able to play in Birmingham in a sporting environment in the near future.”

On Thursday, West Midlands Police said it had classified the fixture as “high risk” based on current intelligence and previous incidents, including “violent clashes and hate crime offences” between Ajax and Maccabi Tel Aviv fans before a match in Amsterdam, in November 2024.

Nandy said ministers were working together to fund any necessary policing operation to allow away fans to attend, and the SAG would review the decision if West Midlands Police changed its risk assessment.

Nandy said the matter was wider than matchday security, adding it came “against the backdrop of rising antisemitism here and across the world, and an attack on a synagogue in Manchester in which two innocent men were killed”.

On Sunday, the Israeli Premier League derby between Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv was cancelled before kick-off, after what police described as “public disorder and violent riots”.

Aston Villa previously told their matchday stewards they did not have to work at the Maccabi Tel Aviv fixture, saying they understood some “may have concerns”.

Following Thursday’s announcement by the club about the impending fixture, Prime Minister Keir Starmer called the move “wrong” and said: “We will not tolerate antisemitism on our streets.”


BBC News

Views: 0

See also  Australian Open 2026 results: Novak Djokovic beats Pedro Martinez for 100th win at tournament

Check Also

Horne launches Taskmaster Hospital Club for children

The club at Frimley Park Hospital aims to provide some fun distraction for children in …

Southampton expelled from play-offs for spying on Middlesbrough

It was the morning of Thursday, 7 May. Middlesbrough were at their Rockliffe Park training …

Man jailed for killing friend in roundabout crash

Mohammed Waheed died after the car he was travelling in hit railings in Sheffield, court …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
tscm counter surveillance. ssb ने bhli के साथ किया mou : अब जवानों को मिलेंगे 7500+ होटल सरकारी दरों पर, परिवार को भी मिलेगा लाभ.