google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Hadi Matar: Man who stabbed Salman Rushdie – leaving author blind in one eye – is jailed | US News

Skynews salman rushdie author 6825727.jpg

A man convicted of stabbing Salman Rushdie, leaving the author blind in one eye, has been jailed for 25 years.

Hadi Matar was found guilty of attempted murder and assault in February.

Prosecutors had been seeking the maximum sentence of 25 years for the attack in August 2022, along with an additional seven-year term for injuring a second man.

Hadi Matar, right, charged with severely injuring author Salman Rushdie in a 2022 knife attack, is led in to Chautauqua County court in Mayville, N.Y., Monday, Feb. 10, 2025. (AP Photo/Adrian Kraus)
Image:
Hadi Matar. Pic: AP

During the trial, Rushdie revealed he feared he was dying when the masked attacker plunged a knife into his head and body more than a dozen times.

The attack happened as the 77-year-old was introduced on stage at the Chautauqua Institution in New York for a discussion on writer safety.

Rushdie spent 17 days at a hospital in Pennsylvania, and more than three weeks at a rehabilitation facility in New York City, as he recovered from his injuries.

Matar will next face a trial on terrorism-related charges. Prosecutors allege the 27-year-old was trying to carry out a decades-old fatwa calling for the author’s death.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.


Source link

Views: 0

See also  All passengers confirmed dead after California plane crash | US News

Check Also

Three people killed after shooting by two teenage suspects at California Islamic centre

Three people have been killed after two teenage suspects carried out a shooting at an …

American who contracted Ebola in DR Congo evacuated for treatment, CDC says

A medical group says an American doctor tested positive after being exposed while treating patients. …

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime