google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Belfast disorder: ‘My kids haven’t left the house in a week’

Mr Atif’s comments came ahead of a major security operation in Belfast, following five nights of unrest.

When asked if he believed that the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) would “stand in the way of harm to protect you”, Mr Atif replied: “No, definitely not”.

Mr Atif said distrust in the PSNI was not something “new” for those from ethnic minority communities.

“What police [have] missed once again is to prevent many things happening,” he said.

“I feel like they allowed people to go and do the damages that were done on Saturday night and even after.”

Several businesses were set alight during last weekend’s disorder, however this “could have easily been prevented”, according to Mr Atif.

“I’m not sure what it’ll take for them to take us seriously,” he added.

Arson attacks against the BCMA – treated by police as hate crimes – badly damaged its centre in Donegall Pass in January 2021 and April 2022.

Last year, the association listed the building for sale “with a heavy heart”.

“I feel like we’re talking [about] exactly the same situation,” Mr Atif said.


Source link

See also  Kneecap pull out of TRNSMT music festival over police concerns

Check Also

Dingle: Crew honoured after 14 fishermen rescued from stricken boat

Several emergency services were part of the rescue effort – an RNLI lifeboat, Irish Coastguard …

Fear and fallout three months on from Northern Ireland’s race riots

But, at the same time as social media posts were circulating organising the riots, something …

Newtownabbey stabbing: Two men arrested after man injured

Two men have been arrested after a man was stabbed in Newtownabbey, County Antrim. Police …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime