google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

70 people contact police in funeral fraud probe

Advertisements

Three people have been arrested and charged in an investigation into missing ashes at a funeral directors.

Police have been investigating alleged fraud and mishandling of remains at A Milne Funeral Directors, based in Glasgow and Dumbarton.

A 58-year-old man and 38-year-old woman were arrested in the Flint area of Wales. Another woman, aged 58, was arrested in Bishopbriggs near Glasgow.

Police Scotland launched Operation Koine launched in April last year after several families reported they had been given the wrong ashes.

The force received reports about the funeral directors from more than 70 people, but believe a larger number may be affected.

In May 2024 police searched A Milne’s office in Springburn, Glasgow, and recovered 19 containers with ashes, just days after eight urns were handed over to Argyll and Bute Council.

The firm was then expelled by the National Association of Funeral Directors.

The majority of complaints related to alleged fraudulent prepaid funeral plans.

Families involved previously told BBC Scotland News of the upset caused after learning the ashes of what they believed were relatives were actually strangers.

Specialist officers, including those from the Financial Investigations Unit, are involved in the investigation.

Police Scotland Det Supt Robert Bowie said the force was continuing to work through lines of inquiry in an “unprecedented investigation”.

He added: “I’d like to thank everyone who has come forward with information on this investigation and members of the public for their continued support.”

A victim support drop-in clinic will be held on 5 December.

It is for people who have already been in contact with police with concerns about the funeral directors.

Police Scotland said the three people arrested would be reported to the Crown Office Procurator Fiscal Service.


BBC News

Views: 1

See also  English clubs keen on Celtic winger Kuhn - gossip

Check Also

Boy, 12, seriously injured after car hits pedestrians

The incident happened on the A907 Clackmannan Road in Alloa on Sunday afternoon. BBC News …

Clubs and fans should be punished for pitch invasions, says ex-SFA chief

Gordon Smith described the scenes at Celtic Park on Saturday as “horrendous”. BBC News Views: …

Ballot opens for Glasgow 2026 opening ceremony

The ceremony, which will take place at the OVO Hydro on 23 July, will be …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Lexonrank | free link building tool | automated seo backlinks.