google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Wimbledon 2025 results: Oliver Tarvet ready for Carlos Alcaraz test

2ea6af50 55b6 11f0 9074 8989d8c97d87.jpg

Advertisements

British qualifier Oliver Tarvet says he backs himself against anyone after his reward for winning on his Wimbledon debut was a second-round match with world number two and defending champion Carlos Alcaraz.

Tarvet, 21, is ranked 733rd in the world but enjoyed a comfortable opening day of the tournament as he saw off Switzerland’s Leandro Riedi 6-4 6-4 6-4.

It will be a significantly tougher test against Alcaraz, who is looking to win Wimbledon for the third year in a row.

However, the Spanish player was on court for almost five hours in the sweltering heat on Monday as he avoided an upset by beating Italian Fabio Fognini 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 7-5 2-6 6-1.

“I feel like nothing has changed,” said Tarvet of the challenge ahead of him.

“I’ve come here and not really set myself any expectations. I’m quietly confident I can win against anyone. Alcaraz isn’t an exception to that.

“He’s done an incredible amount in the tennis world. He’s a difficult guy not to respect. I will just go out there and try and treat it like another match.

“At the end of the day, for me, I try and play the ball, not the player.”

Tarvet’s underdog story ensured there was plenty of interest in his match on court four as spectators crowded around the edges for the match against fellow qualifier Riedi, who is ranked 506th in the world but was 117th as recently as August last year.

There was little to separate the two in a tight opening few games but Tarvet got the crucial break in the ninth before holding his serve to take the first set.

Tarvet’s momentum continued as he broke Riedi early in the second, with his opponent growing increasingly frustrated as he struggled to find a way through the Briton’s serve on his way to losing the second set.

Then, after more than two hours of tennis played in temperatures in excess of 30C, Riedi sent a shot long at 30-40 down on his serve to hand Tarvet the decisive break in the third set.

He then closed out the match to seal a superb victory and a place in round two.


BBC News

Views: 1

See also  Wuhan Open 2025: Aryna Sabalenka beats Rebecca Sramkova in first match since US Open triumph

Check Also

Sally Bolton to step down as All England Club chief after Wimbledon

Sally Bolton will step down as the All England Lawn Tennis Club’s (AELTC) chief executive …

How does Jannik Sinner compare to Djokovic, Nadal and Federer after Italian Open win?

Despite his relatively-tender years, the scale of four-time Grand Slam champion Sinner’s achievements has already …

Italian Open: Jannik Sinner leading Daniil Medvedev before semi-final postponed because of rain

Jannik Sinner overcame his physical struggles to lead Daniil Medvedev in a deciding set before …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime