South Korea soccer player detained in China over bribery allegations released

We are an affiliate

Newsatw.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”

  • South Korean soccer player Son Jun-ho, detained in China over bribery allegations, has been released and returned home.
  • Son, a former South Korean national team member, was detained last May at Shanghai airport on suspicion of taking bribes.
  • He previously played for Shandong Taishan in China, winning the 2021 Chinese championship.

A star South Korean soccer player who was detained and investigated in China for nearly a year over bribery allegations has been released and returned home, Seoul’s Foreign Ministry said Monday.

Son Jun-ho, a former member of the South Korean national team who had played professionally in China, was detained by Chinese authorities at the Shanghai airport in May on suspicion of taking bribes.

The Foreign Ministry confirmed that Son was back in South Korea but didn’t provide further details, including when he returned or whether the charges against him were proven.

SOUTH KOREA’S NATIONAL SOCCER TEAM PICKS SON JUN-HO DESPITE HIS DETENTION IN CHINA

South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper, citing anonymous sources, reported that Son returned Monday afternoon.

Son Jun-ho

South Korea’s Son Jun-ho speaks during a press conference before a training session at Al Egla Training Site 5 on Nov. 22, 2022, in Doha, Qatar. Son has been released and returned home, Seoul’s Foreign Ministry said on Monday. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, File)

Son had played for Shandong Taishan and won the 2021 Chinese championship with the Jinan-based club. Hong Kong newspaper South China Morning Post reported last year that the bribery allegations concerned suspected match-fixing involving the team’s coach, Hao Wei.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“We have been communicating with Chinese authorities through various channels to request their cooperation in ensuring a fast and fair process (for Son) while also communicating closely with his family in South Korea,” the South Korean ministry said in a statement. It said it had conducted about 20 consular interviews with Son to provide assistance and ensure fair access to lawyers.

Son, 31, played seven seasons with South Korea’s Pohang Steelers and Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors before joining Shandong Taishan in 2021 on a four-year contract, according to industry website transfermarket.com. He has played for South Korea 18 times, including the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Chinese soccer has struggled for years to rid itself of a reputation for corruption.

See also  Nets' Ben Simmons out remainder of season with injury, searching for treatment options to solve back issues

Check Also

All-Ireland SFC: McGeeney urges Armagh to ‘go one more step’

We are an affiliateNewsatw.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Πολλαπλές επιλογές οδηγών στο δάπεδο, ακόμη και για a. Experience the power of this link building network and watch as your website soars to new heights in the digital landscape.