Pro14: Leinster 40-5 Cardiff Blues

Aled Summerhill is tackled by Liam Turner
Aled Summerhill scored Blues’ only try at the RDS Arena
Leinster (19) 40
Tries: Kearney, O’Brien, Tracy, Penny 2, Silvester Cons: Byrne 5
Cardiff Blues (5) 5
Try: Summerhill

Reigning champions Leinster kept up a perfect start to the Pro14 season with a bonus-point win over Cardiff Blues.

Dave Kearney’s try in the opening minute set the tone, with Jimmy O’Brien crossing for a second before Aled Summerhill replied for Blues.

A James Tracy score, Scott Penny’s double and Michael Silvester’s late try gave Leinster a convincing win.

In doing so, Leo Cullen’s side equalled the Championship record of seven five-point victories in succession.

Leinster’s 26th successive victory in the Pro14 sees them maintain their place at the top of Conference A.

The hosts made an immediate impact and scored the opening try a minute into the game.

Ciaran Frawley found Kearney on the outside and the Ireland wing crossed over the line, with Harry Byrne adding the conversion.

Leinster were firmly in control and O’Brien touched down for their second try after a kick and chase that Jason Tovey failed to intercept.

Byrne added the extras but Blues responded well and Summerhill went over in the corner after a good move by the visitors.

Blues, who had not away in Leinster since 2004, were buoyed by the try and impressive Ben Thomas fed Garyn Smith, only for a handing error by the centre to bring a promising to an end.

Leinster, however, had the first half’s final word when Tracey scored a third try following a driving line-out.

Blues had to defend heroically with flanker Alun Lawrence, making his first senior start, preventing a try for the hosts while the returning Tomos Williams put in a crucial tackle to stop Rhys Ruddock.

But the home side’s pressure finally told with under 15 minutes remaining replacement Penny secured the bonus point, powering over from close range with Byrne converting.

There was no let up from the hosts and Penny crossed for his second try – and Leinster’s fifth – six minutes later, with Byrne converting.

Another replacement, Silvester, latched on to Byrne’s kick to touch down for the game’s final try before the fly-half’s fifth successful conversion completed the win.

Leinster: Jimmy O’Brien, Cian Kelleher, Liam Turner, Ciaran Frawley, Dave Kearney, Harry Byrne, Luke McGrath; Peter Dooley, James Tracy, Michael Bent, Ross Molony, Ryan Baird, Josh Murphy, Dan Leavy, Rhys Ruddock (capt).

Replacements: Dan Sheehan, Michael Milne, Tom Clarkson, Devin Toner, Jack Dunne, Rowan Osborne, Michael Silvester, Scott Penny.

Cardiff Blues: Matthew Morgan; Owen Lane, Garyn Smith, Ben Thomas, Aled Summerhill; Jarrod Evans (capt), Tomos Williams; Corey Domachowski, Ethan Lewis, Dmitri Arhip, Ben Murphy, Rory Thornton, James Ratti, Alun Lawrence, Josh Turnbull.

Replacements: Iestyn Harris, Brad Thyer, Keiron Assiratti, Teddy Williams, Gwilym Bradley, Jamie Hill, Max Llewellyn, Hallam Amos.

Referee: Mike Adamson (Scotland)

Assistant referees: Peter Martin (Ireland) & George Clancy (Ireland)

TMO: Olly Hodges (Ireland)

BBC News