google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Police release video of shooting suspect after two killed and nine injured at US university | US News

Police have released video footage showing a suspected shooter who opened fire on the campus of Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, killing two people and injuring nine.

The brief video shows the suspect walking down a street and turning a corner while dressed in dark clothing.

Authorities said he appears to be in his 30s, but his exact age is unclear at this time.

The suspect remains at large, and people in the area have been urged to stay indoors.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

The shooting occurred inside a classroom on the first floor of the Barus & Holley engineering building, according to Providence Police Deputy Chief Tim O’Hara, who spoke at a news conference.

Providence mayor Brett Smiley said the number of injured had risen to nine after another person realised they had been struck by “fragments” from the shooting. He added that they are expected to make a full recovery.

Brown University provost Frank Doyle confirmed that final exams were taking place in the engineering building Saturday afternoon when the shooter opened fire.

Officers searched the buildings of the Ivy League campus and sifted through trash cans for several hours following the shooting.

“We have all available resources” to find the suspect, Mr O’Hara said at the news conference.

Mr Smiley said a person who was initially thought to be involved in the shooting was detained but was later determined to have no involvement.

He said the eight wounded people were in critical but stable condition. He declined to say whether the victims were students.

Mr Smiley asked for prayers for the families of the victims, noting the coming Christmas holiday.

“It’s going to be a difficult rest of the day, difficult days and months ahead as this community heals,” he said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We hid under our desks for two hours’

President Donald Trump told reporters at the White House that he had been briefed on the situation, which he called “terrible”.

“All we can do right now is pray for the victims and for those that were very badly hurt,” he added.

The shooting was reported near the Barus & Holley building, a seven-storey structure that houses the School of Engineering and Physics Department, according to the university’s website.

It includes 117 laboratories, 150 offices and 15 classrooms.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Stay inside’ mayor warns after shooting

Brown is a private university with roughly 7,300 undergraduate students and more than 3,000 graduate students.

Providence Council member John Goncalves, whose ward includes the Brown campus, said: “We’re still getting information about what’s going on, but we’re just telling people to lock their doors and to stay vigilant.

“As a Brown alum, someone who loves the Brown community and represents this area, I’m heartbroken. My heart goes out to all the family members and the folks who’ve been impacted.”

‘I was hoping that no one’s getting hurt’

Student Chiang-Heng Chien said he was working in one of the labs with three other students when they received a notification about a shooting nearby.

“We decided to turn the light off and close all the doors and hide under our desks, and wait for the next notification after the shooting,” he told reporters.

The students hid under the desks for about two hours.

“I was hoping that no one’s getting hurt and no one’s dead,” he said.

See also  One mentally ill man's fight for assisted dying in Canada

The students left the building when they received another notification, and security personnel moved in to search the facility.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Emma Ferraro, a chemical engineering student, was in the Barus & Holley lobby working on a final project when she heard loud popping sounds coming from the eastern side of the building.

For a moment, everyone paused and looked around, she recalled.

Once Ferraro realised the sounds were gunshots, she rushed to the door and ran to a nearby building, where she had been sheltering for the past few hours.

Local media reports indicated that the manhunt was made more challenging by the large crowds in downtown Providence, where holiday shoppers and thousands of concertgoers were gathered.

According to officials, federal law enforcement and police from nearby cities and towns were helping with the search.

“We are a week and a half away from Christmas. And two people died today and another eight are in the hospital,” Mr Smiley said.

“So please pray for those families.”


Source link

Views: 2

See also  Man charged with Christmas Day murder and three stabbings

Check Also

Donald Trump Jr gets married – but president not expected to attend wedding ceremony | US News

Donald Trump’s eldest son has got married, but the US president is not expected to …

One dead and dozens of firefighters injured in Staten Island shipyard explosion

More than 30 people, including firefighters, were hurt in the incident, which was described as …

Most people seeking green cards must now apply from outside US

A new policy closes a loophole that has allowed people to apply for a green …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime