google-site-verification: googlec7193c3de77668c9.html

Lions v Ulster: Losing Ireland quartet ‘a bit disruptive’ for visitors before Ellis Park contest

Advertisements

Ulster defence coach Willie Faloon says beating the Lions in Saturday’s United Rugby Championship game (12:45 BST) would be a “huge statement” after losing the squad’s Ireland contingent.

The in-form Irish province, who have started the URC season with a hat-trick of bonus-point wins, go into this weekend’s contest at Ellis Park without Jacob Stockdale, Stuart McCloskey, Iain Henderson and Nick Timoney, who have left for international duty before next week’s Test against New Zealand in Chicago.

All four started Ulster’s impressive 34-26 win over the Sharks in Durban last week and Faloon admits losing four players of their calibre in the middle of a South African tour has been less than ideal.

“A little bit disruptive,” he said when asked about the departures following the Sharks game.

“We’ve had some players come out to bolster our numbers but we’re probably down a couple and then you’re losing four lads who have lots of IQ and are big leaders around the group as well, so it is disruptive, but I think the lads have been going well.”

Faloon added: “It’d be a statement for our squad. To lose the four guys that we have, for our squad to step up and deliver a performance as good would be a huge statement.”


BBC News

Views: 1

See also  European leaders walk tightrope between backing Ukraine and keeping US on board

Check Also

Counting under way in Ireland by-elections

The by-elections are being held to fill the vacant Dáil seats in Galway West and …

Fergie's former racehorse enjoying a retirement with beaches and beer

Spirit Dancer had a long career but he is now enjoying beach walks and beer …

First Chelsea Flower Show garden relocated to NI

A gold-medal winning garden is being gifted to community volunteers who run a foodbank in …

Leave a Reply

Available for Amazon Prime
Making digital tools accessible for everyone.