Glasgow 23-22 Edinburgh: Hosts level 1872 Cup series at 1-1 with Pro14 win


Edinburgh's Jamie Farndale scored the only try of the first half
Edinburgh’s Jamie Farndale scored the only try of the first half
Glasgow Warriors (9) 23
Tries: Fagerson, Turner Con: Thompson (2) Pens: Thompson (3)
Edinburgh (10) 22
Tries: Farndale, Dean, Sau Con: Van der Walt, Bennett Pen: Van der Walt

Glasgow Warriors had a last-minute let-off as they edged a thrilling 1872 Cup second-leg tie against Edinburgh.

Jaco van der Walt’s missed conversion after an Eroni Sau try preserved the hosts’ one-point lead and moved them off the bottom of Pro14 Conference A.

Edinburgh were 10-9 up at the interval thanks to Jamie Farndale’s try before Glasgow roared back as Matt Fagerson and George Turner both crossed.

A stunning Chris Dean score reduced the deficit and set up the dramatic finale.

But Danny Wilson’s side survived to level the series at 1-1 and set up a decider as they attempt to claim the trophy for the first time in four years.

Glasgow move up to fourth in the standings, while Edinburgh remain second bottom of Conference B.

In the sides’ previous meeting a fortnight ago, a turgid contest remained pointless before Edinburgh eked out a 10-7 win.

There was no delay in the action heating up this time, with Warriors’ 21-year-old stand-off Thompson marking his first professional start with two penalties before Edinburgh responded with a Jaco van der Walt attempt.

Turner was sin-binned 34 after minutes when he needlessly thrust his shoulder into Grant Gilchrist’s midriff off the ball.

And Edinburgh quickly capitalised despite Huw Jones’ superb try-saving tackle on Jamie Farndale – a late call-up after Jack Blain failed a pre-match fitness test – in the far corner. The visitors worked the ball across to the left before quickly switching back to the right as Blair Kinghorn and Dean fed the ball to Farndale, who this time was free to run in for the score.

Glasgow trimmed the interval deficit back to one as Thompson booted his third penalty, and they surged ahead with two scores inside the first 11 minutes of the second half. Fagerson smashed over after patient build-up play before Turner barged through from a driven line-out following a yellow card for van der Walt.

But the 14-man visitors hit back immediately as Dave Cherry pierced the line before Hamish Watson released Dean to score under the posts.

Glasgow had to see out the final five minutes a man down when Jones was next to be shown yellow for illegally slowing an Edinburgh attack.

Sau thought he had won it for Richard Cockerill’s side with 90 seconds remaining when he powered down the line to score, but van der Walt’s conversion from near the sideline crept wide.

Man of the match Thompson had the chance to increase the victory margin to four points at the end, but was wide with another penalty.

Glasgow: H Jones; L Jones, Grigg, Fergusson, McLean; Thompson, Price; Seiuli, Turner, Fagerson, Gray, S Cummings, Wilson (capt), Gordon, Fagerson.

Replacements: Matthews, Lambert, Pieretto, Nakarawa, Harley, Dobie, Thomson, Smith.

Edinburgh: Kinghorn; Farndale, Bennett, Dean, Sau; van der Walt, Groom; Sutherland, Cherry, Berghan, Hodgson, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Watson, Mata.

Replacements: Willemse, Schoeman, Nel, Haining, Crosbie, Pyrgos, Chamberlain, Johnstone.

BBC News