Cefn Druids have second Cymru Premier game called off over Covid-19 breach


A second Cefn Druids Cymru Premier game has been called off due to a breach of Covid-19 regulations.

The breach which saw the postponement of Saturday’s opener at Haverfordwest has also accounted for Tuesday’s home game with Flint Town United.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) says there was a breach of the Safer Return to Play Protocol by Druids.

The FAW is now working with Druids to ensure their next game, against Bala on 20 September, can go ahead.

A statement by the FAW said: “As a consequence of the existing breach of the Safer Return to Play Protocol, the Football Association of Wales has taken the decision to postpone Cefn Druids’ upcoming JD Cymru Premier fixture against Flint Town United on 15 September.

“The same breach saw the club’s opening match of the season at Haverfordwest County being postponed on Saturday and the FAW is working closely with Cefn Druids to find a solution in order to allow their fixture against Bala Town to go ahead under the guidelines on September 20.

“The Safer Return to Play Protocol must be followed to ensure that matches can take place safely during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.”

Cefn Druids have not yet issued a response to the second postponement against Flint.

But the north Wales club said in a previous statement they had been “appalled” by the way the postponement of last weekend’s league opener had been handled.

“In the early hours of Saturday morning, The JD Cymru Premier advised us that they were postponing fixture the over a breach of the ‘Safer Return to Play Protocol’,” read the statement from Saturday.

“We are appalled at the comments in the public domain by the league and will address them accordingly.”

Haverfordwest chairman Rob Edwards said in a statement: “The club are extremely disappointed to learn of the postponement of today’s match versus Cefn Druids.

“It has been a summer of change at the club and we were all looking forward to seeing our hard work played out on the pitch today.

“We would like to make it clear that our club has followed every single FAW regulation and protocol to the letter.

“Since the resumption of training, we ensured that all rules within the Return to Play guidelines were followed during their respective phases, all players and staff have completed Benchmark Covid-19 questionnaires, and we have spent the previous few weeks guaranteeing that the Bridge Meadow Stadium is a safe environment for football to resume, as per FAW guidelines.

“At all our pre-season games, we ensured that they were correctly sanctioned, and once again, all protocols were followed.

“We will continue our hard work to ensure that all rules are followed at our club and look forward to getting our campaign underway against Cardiff Met on Tuesday.”



BBC News