Benjamin Mendy: Man City ‘disappointed’ after defender breaches Covid-19 protocols


Benjamin Mendy
Benjamin Mendy had to self-isolate as a precaution in March after a family member tested positive for Covid-19

Manchester City say they are disappointed after defender Benjamin Mendy breached Covid-19 rules by hosting a New Year’s Eve party.

A spokesperson for the France international said the 26-year-old held a dinner party with guests from outside his household.

The mixing of households indoors is banned under the UK government’s tier four restrictions.

City said they would conduct an internal investigation.

“While it is understood that elements of this incident have been misinterpreted in the reports [carried by newspapers earlier], and that the player has publicly apologised for his error, the club is disappointed to learn of the transgression and will be conducting an internal investigation,” the club said in a statement.

A spokesperson for Mendy said: “Benjamin and his partner allowed a chef and two friends of his partner to attend his property for a dinner party on New Year’s Eve.

“Ben accepts that this is a breach of Covid-19 protocols and is sorry for his actions in this matter. Ben has had a Covid test and is liaising with Manchester City about this.”

Meanwhile, defender Eric Garcia has become the sixth City player to test positive for coronavirus.

Garcia, along with a member of staff who also returned a positive test, will now self-isolate.

Team-mates Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker previously tested positive within the past 10 days.

The former Premier League champions are set to face Chelsea on Sunday (16:30 GMT).

They previously postponed their match against Everton on 28 December because of positive tests.

There have been a number of apparent coronavirus breaches by players at Premier League clubs in recent days.

Tottenham criticised three of their players after they attended a party over Christmas, while Fulham are looking into reports that striker Aleksandar Mitrovic allegedly broke coronavirus rules.

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson also apologised after midfielder Luka Milivojevic was pictured with Mitrovic at a gathering in London.

Fulham’s match against Burnley on Sunday was postponed after an increase in positive cases at the club.

City also had to cancel their match against Everton on 28 December because of positive tests.



BBC News